CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

American Idol! For real...

Before 4:30 had time to hit this morning, Dan and I found ourselves being corralled between portable barricades. Like thousands of others, we stood for a while and then begrudgingly sat upon the cushy concrete...after a night of no sleep, just about any sitting surface feels pretty great. Sound fun? It was all by choice-my choice to audition for American Idol Season 9. Dan chose to accompany me, even offering to go clothes shopping so we can find the perfect outfit. He's certainly a special man! I'm confident he's the only one of his kind...sorry ladies...
The rest of the Idol herd was obviously super energized, opting to break out in their showcase song instead of lowing, and waiting for a split-second chance to flash their carefully practiced smiles and wave at the passing cameramen...everyone practices their smile right?? I'm not ashamed to say I do. I'm more than happy with how God made me, but my mouth demands a little finesse in order to produce a shimmery grin, opposed to a maniacal sneer. I think I've got the face muscles down, but there is a fine line between the two.
A group of camera-hungry gals right in front of us got a few great opportunities to show their style. One of them sang a portion of her song onto a very old cell phone held out by a local radio show host. I'm not one to critique a girl who cannot defend herself, so that's all I will say. That's how it went a lot of the morning. Some people were obviously talented, and you wondered how they would fare with the judges. Others were not so, and the same thought occurred because, like it or not, AI is a television show. They have to make their money the same as other shows, on RATINGS. A group of talented super-singers effortlessly gliding through is not nearly enough controversy to spark the general population's interest. Hence America's love/hate relationship with Simon (not that I mean to speak bad of him. I very much hope to reach the point where he may in fact sear me in the heat of his scrutiny, but will be even more delighted if it goes the other way :).

Anyhow four hours later, we were moving through our corral and up the small steps to Amway Arena. We stood in a brief line and waited our turn to quickly flash and ID, stick out our arm, and receive an armband and seat tickets. Mine was yellow, indicating I'll be taking the leap before complete strangers with the power to push me closer to my dreams, or focus me in another direction completely. Dan's was white, indicating he's the lucky one who gets to sit in the stands and agonize over my figure among the throngs as I slowly inch closer and closer to the jury.

The whole registration process took less than a minute. Now we get to wait two days, head back, and take part as the REAL fun begins.

0 commentos: